California Publishes Guidance for Vehicle Use Tax Exemptions

Friday, February 27th, 2015

Keys to a car.

The California State Board of Equalization ("Board") released guidance on vehicle and vessel transfers that are not subject to California use tax.

California taxes sales of vehicles and vessels ("vehicles") unless an exemption applies. When a vehicle is purchased from a dealer in California, the dealer is responsible for reporting and paying sales tax. When a vehicle is purchased from someone other than a dealer, the purchaser must pay use tax. The use tax rate is generally the rate that applies where the vehicle is registered or moored. The sales tax rate is generally the rate that applies where the vehicle is sold. Purchasers can pay use tax either to the Department of Motor Vehicles ("DMV") when they register the vehicle or directly to the Board.

California exempts some vehicle sales to individuals by non-dealers. A vehicle is exempt from use tax when it is (1) received as a gift, (2) purchased from a family member, (3) involuntarily obtained through inheritance or court order, (4) received in the dissolution of a company, (5) purchased and delivered out of state without being used, (6) purchased and delivered out of state by active duty military personnel who then transfer to California and bring the vehicle with them, (7) purchased by the U.S. government, (8) purchased for out-of-state use and only used in California while being removed from the state, or (9) purchased by an American Indian for use on a reservation.

If a purchaser qualifies for a use tax exemption, the purchaser may get a Use Tax Clearance certificate from the Board. This certificate allows the purchaser to register the vehicle in California without paying use tax. The DMV can process vehicle registrations without this certificate but is not required to do so.

About TTR

Transaction (buying or selling things), Tax (the tax on this activity), Resources (our people, our website, our support services) - TTR, Inc.

TTR has a website that companies subscribe to and use daily. This website provides a list of everything that can be bought or sold in the U.S. It provides simple answers to whether buying or selling these items is taxable (subject to a sales tax or other tax), and it provides all the legal authority to support these tax answers.

TTR likes to keep things simple and fun, which is why it has great people who provide help to clients on any support questions they have about transaction tax issues.

Please visit TTR on the web at or call 866.578.8193.

Telephone Answering Services Taxable in Arkansas

Tuesday, October 16th, 2018 -The Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration recently ruled that the service of answering calls on be...

Washington Provides Guidance on Lodging Tax for Online...

Friday, October 12th, 2018 -The Washington Department of Revenue released updated guidance that provides tax reporting information for bed...

Economic Nexus in West Virginia

Wednesday, October 10th, 2018 -The West Virginia State Tax Department announced that it will require remote sellers to begin collecting sales...

Idaho Provides Guidance on the Exemption for Medical...

Monday, October 8th, 2018 -The Idaho State Tax Commission recently released guidance that explains Idaho's sales and use tax laws for buy...

Arkansas Does Not Follow Federal Law on Foreign Income

Friday, October 5th, 2018 -The Arkansas Department of Taxation and Finance recently released an opinion that says the state does not conf...

South Dakota Provides Guidance on the Taxation of Churches

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018 -The South Dakota Department of Revenue (DOR) recently released guidance that provides information about how sa...