Owner of Game Room Did Not Need Certificate of Authority

Wednesday, September 17th, 2014

A billard table.
New York

The New York Department of Taxation and Finance ("Department") recently released an opinion stating that the owner of a game room containing coin-operated amusement devices did not need a certificate of authority from the state.

The taxpayer had a small game room containing a pinball machine, a jukebox, and two billiard tables. All these devices were coin-operated. The taxpayer did not charge for entrance to the game room and did not sell food or drink to its patrons. The sole source of income from the game room was the coin-operated devices.

New York requires every person who must collect sales tax to get a certificate of authority from the state. This certificate empowers a person to collect sales tax on behalf of the state. Sales tax applies to sales of tangible personal property and certain services, including admissions to places of amusement. A taxable admission charge is the amount paid for admission, including any service charge, and any charge for entertainment or amusement or for the use of facilities for entertainment or amusement.

The Department decided that the taxpayer did not need a certificate of authority because it was not required to collect sales tax. The taxpayer did not charge admission to its game room and did not sell any tangible personal property. The charges for the coin-operated amusement devices were also not subject to tax; they were charges for the use of the devices rather than charges for admission to amusement.


About TTR

Transaction (buying or selling things), Tax (the tax on this activity), Resources (our people, our website, our support services) - TTR, Inc.

TTR has a website that companies subscribe to and use daily. This website provides a list of everything that can be bought or sold in the U.S. It provides simple answers to whether buying or selling these items is taxable (subject to a sales tax or other tax), and it provides all the legal authority to support these tax answers.

TTR likes to keep things simple and fun, which is why it has great people who provide help to clients on any support questions they have about transaction tax issues.

Please visit TTR on the web at www.ttrus.com or call 866.578.8193.

Telephone Answering Services Taxable in Arkansas

Tuesday, October 16th, 2018 -The Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration recently ruled that the service of answering calls on be...

Washington Provides Guidance on Lodging Tax for Online...

Friday, October 12th, 2018 -The Washington Department of Revenue released updated guidance that provides tax reporting information for bed...

Economic Nexus in West Virginia

Wednesday, October 10th, 2018 -The West Virginia State Tax Department announced that it will require remote sellers to begin collecting sales...

Idaho Provides Guidance on the Exemption for Medical...

Monday, October 8th, 2018 -The Idaho State Tax Commission recently released guidance that explains Idaho's sales and use tax laws for buy...

Arkansas Does Not Follow Federal Law on Foreign Income

Friday, October 5th, 2018 -The Arkansas Department of Taxation and Finance recently released an opinion that says the state does not conf...

South Dakota Provides Guidance on the Taxation of Churches

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018 -The South Dakota Department of Revenue (DOR) recently released guidance that provides information about how sa...